Port approval

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon May 25 20:12:37 PDT 2009

>Current postfix @2.5.5 Postfix is at 2.6 stable.  I am not sure going
>to 2.6 from the 2.5.5 is best, perhaps make a new port, as it may have
>changed significantly, to where an upgrade one would break a lot. At
>the very least, we can do 2.5.7, which has significant updates and is
>I believe, the last release in that branch to date.  I would love to
>supply this portfile, but need the above pushed out first.

This is where MacPorts differs from other package managers as far as I can
tell.  That a new release might break stuff is always the case, and not a
sufficient reason to create multiple versions of the same port (though
-devel is a standard for non-stable code).  Postfix 2.6.1 is listed as
stable and so the preference would be to update the port to that or wait
until a future rev if not possible (reporting trouble to the postfix
developers in that case).  That said, the postfix port is in desperate
need of a maintainer, and I'm not at all certain that the portfile is how
it should be (I wonder if the Makefile could not be used instead of
xinstalls and such).  I have cleaned it up from a horrible mess in the
past since no one else did but I wish someone who uses it in production
would step up and maintain it.

Mark