Port approval

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 26 12:47:47 PDT 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
> That means, to me, that 2.6 is all new features.  That being the
> case, it may not be possible to gracefully go from 2.5 to 2.6, I
> will have to look into it.

My non-macports managed postfix install has been fine from 2.4 - 2.6
(without having to mess with the rather simple config I have set up).

I would guess that more complicated installs may have issues, but
presumably nothing that the people who set up the install would be
unable to deal with.

I would encourage you to use 2.6.1 (or whatever the latest current
stable release is around when you get time to work on it).

> I also do not want to be a part of breaking every postfix mail
> server out there based on ports :)

While it's nice when port maintainers go to a lot of effort to make
'port upgrade' just do the right thing, it's not possible in all
cases. I don't think it's necessary to split the port up in all of
those situations.

Ultimately, it's up to the maintainer to make the decision about what
level of effort should be put into trying to handle everything
automatically and at what point to perhaps just point the person doing
the upgrade/install to the documentation for that particular piece of
software so that the end-user can figure out how to manage migration
from one version to another.
--
Daniel J. Luke