DVCS for MacPorts Project?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sun May 31 09:35:22 PDT 2009

On May 31, 2009, at 2:18 AM, Toby Peterson wrote:

> On May 31, 2009, at 1:57 AM, C. Florian Ebeling wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org
>> > wrote:

>>> Wonderful. So they knowingly distribute a client that does not
>>> conform to
>>> the client/server agreement.
>>>
>>> If we care enough to prevent these malformed commits from getting
>>> into our
>>> repository, we can write a pre-commit hook to prevent them.

>>> Thank you for abiding by the guideline.
>>
>> Ryan, I find your communication style quite unfriendly here. I don't
>> see why Akira's considerately presented preference, which is
>> different
>> from the one mp makes, deserves such a sarcastic reply.
>>
>> If you drive away a single contributer by applying this style, you
>> have hurt the project more than anyone could by not adhering to some
>> minor guideline.
>
> I haven't seen any issues from people using other (non-svn) clients
> to commit - afaik the $Id$ tag expansion is a server-side operation...

It's a client side operation.  The client removes the characters after
the d and before the $ when it sends the file to the server and adds
the contents when it checks out or updates the file.

For example, look at this URL in a browser, not an svn client:

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/java/jna/Portfile

Blair