DVCS for MacPorts Project?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 31 09:40:35 PDT 2009

On May 31, 2009, at 03:24, Akira Kitada wrote:

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt
> <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On May 30, 2009, at 07:50, Akira Kitada wrote:
>>
>>> It seems Git and Mercurial just think keyword substitutions are't so
>>> useful, and even it hurts, maybe.
>>> So if there were a report on that, I wonder it will be fixed.
>>
>> Wonderful. So they knowingly distribute a client that does not
>> conform to
>> the client/server agreement.
>>
>> If we care enough to prevent these malformed commits from getting
>> into our
>> repository, we can write a pre-commit hook to prevent them.
>
> Just in case you're interested in this topic:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2006/10/9/223932
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/KeywordPlan

Thanks for those references. They seem to state, as you mentioned
earlier, that the developers of git think keywords are bad and they
don't want to support them.

I have no problem with that as it pertains to git. However git can be
used as a Subversion client. It is the responsibility of a Subversion
client to normalize keywords to unexpanded form before sending to the
repository, and the git Subversion client does not appear to do this.
Therefore git's Subversion client mode is faulty.