DVCS for MacPorts Project?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 31 09:42:40 PDT 2009

On May 31, 2009, at 03:57, C. Florian Ebeling wrote:

>>> By the way, I also do not find $id$ is so useful. I just use it
>>> because MacPorts Guide recommends it.
>>
>> Thank you for abiding by the guideline.
>
> Ryan, I find your communication style quite unfriendly here. I don't
> see why Akira's considerately presented preference, which is different
> from the one mp makes, deserves such a sarcastic reply.
>
> If you drive away a single contributer by applying this style, you
> have hurt the project more than anyone could by not adhering to some
> minor guideline.

You're right, that sounded a little snarky and I apologize. I really
did just mean exactly what I wrote: thanking Akira for abiding by the
guideline. Sometimes ports get committed that don't, and then I fix
them; I like it when I don't have to do that. I should have probably
put a smiley after that sentence.

What I wrote above that:

>> Wonderful. So they knowingly distribute a client that does not
>> conform to
>> the client/server agreement.
>>
>> If we care enough to prevent these malformed commits from getting
>> into our
>> repository, we can write a pre-commit hook to prevent them.

was intended to be more critical, but of the developers of git, not
of Akira. Just a rant, which would probably have been more effective
if sent to the developers of git.