Any interest in using git for scm?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Nov 6 10:37:17 PST 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Darren Weber wrote:

> After listening to Linus Torvalds talk about git and looking at a
> video tutorial from Scott Chacon, it would seem beneficial to use
> git for MacPorts development.  It appears that git can be used with
> an existing svn repository (man git-svn), or the svn repository
> could be imported into a new master git repository (perhaps host it
> with github).  Is anyone currently using git for MacPorts development?
>
> After a few tips from MacPorts gurus and some experiments, I was
> able to draft the instructions at
> Create an experimental users directory in the MacPorts Subversion
> repository
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/CommittersTipsAndTricks
>
> The merge process with svn takes a while to grok, but it works OK.
> Is anyone having an easier time with git?
>
> The resources here are helpful in learning git:
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/search/node/git

While I use git svn on a daily on my own source code projects, I don't
see the value in migrating from svn over to git for MacPorts for the
repository.  Nothing stopping people from using git to checkout from
svn.

Also, I don't keep a local svn checkout of the dports portion of the
repository and the one thing I do when I want to update a port is just
checkout the directory of the port I'm updating, which is a feature
Subversion supports that git doesn't.

Regards,
Blair