Any interest in using git for scm?

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Fri Nov 6 21:05:13 PST 2009

In any case, regardless of keyword problems (if they persist in git-svn),
I'm glad to know that the svn repo is also in a git repo that is tracking
the svn.  The git repo should provide more integrity than the svn repo and a
reliable backup for the centralized svn repo.  (I have no idea, but I assume
the Mac OS Forge guys have a backup system all wrapped up anyway, so not to
worry about that.)  The point is that the algorithms in git for sha1 checks
are not available in any other scm, AFAIK.

One advantage of the sha1 hash is that it provides a truly unique ID for any
commit, which probably surpasses the purpose of any $Id$ and other keywords
for tracking commits.  Using global config settings, like user.name and
user.email, the commits are automatically identified by the
developer/commiter and they are useful in 'git blame'.  Looking at the git
log --graph or using gitk and other git GUI tools gives a nice graph of the
branch and commit history.  It seems easy to identify where any changes came
from.  No need for an Id guidelines and associated developer conformity ;-)
(That may be one reason that git doesn't support keywords ;-)).

Take care,
Darren

PPS, For keyword issues, see:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39742/does-git-have-anything-like-svn-propset-svnkeywords-or-pre-post-commit-hooks