HDF5 dilemma

Mark Moll mmoll at macports.org
Sun Nov 8 15:50:20 PST 2009

HDF5 1.6.10 and HDF5 1.8.4 are currently in prerelease. HDF5 1.6.10 is
the last release of the 1.6.x series. HDF5 1.8.x can also be compiled
in 1.6.x compatibility mode, but this shouldn’t be done by default. I
think it’s hard to make a case for the hdf5_select approach you
suggest. First, there’s only 2 or 3 ports that need hdf5 1.6 (I
think). Second, with gcc and python there really are many versions
simultaneously in use. The cost of switching versions is significant
with gcc and python and it makes sense to support multiple versions.

Since I am the maintainer of the hdf5-18 port I might be somewhat
biased, but the least bad solution might be to have the hdf5 port
install its files in ${prefix}/lib/hdf5-16/.

--
Mark

--
Mark