macports error reporting, stack traces

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Nov 8 16:27:04 PST 2009

On Nov 8, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Should we add the typical steps for producing debug error logs to
> the output of the standard trace during a failure?
>
> There are often tickets where people simply place the standard
> output and not the debug output.  Would supplying the steps to do
> this directly in the standard reporting help users figure this out?

Simply put, yes.  When in non debug, this message would be seen, and
more than likely would be followed.  People are not going to read all
the docs on how to post a proper report.  Hell, I have been around
here long enough, and my port bug reports are far from perfect :)

I like the idea.

If my trac searching was better, I would go read and look over the
issue to log the errors to a file, so it is even easier to generate a
bug report.

When an error is hit, a file should be made that contains whatever
suitable data is needed to allow the user to provide a good report.
If that means a system profiler, uname, actual -d, and whatever else,
it should be there.

There never should be a case in trac where the question of "Can you
run -d and provide us that data", and "what os, how much ran, what
architecture", etc, those should not be burdens on the user, and those
should not stall a trac ticket waiting for the answer.

No user burden, and no developer/maintainer/manager burden needs to be
a goal.  Fix bug, not waste time getting to the point where you can
maybe start to consider fixing a bug.

People on the dev list get this, but a normal non dev user list user;
in my opinion, we are lucky they even made it to the mailing list, let
alone to trac.

My ideal situation:
Oops, looks like you ran into a build bug, please click this link, and
a report will be auto entered into our trac system.  This will take
them to a page where if they have an account, they can login, and the
report will be connected to their account. Or they can "post bug
anonymously".

They key is to get the data into the system, with as much detail as
possible, and as little end user friction as possible.