port command timing

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Nov 8 20:59:51 PST 2009

I have no way of testing this empirically any longer.  I am on 1.8+ on
all machines now.  `port info portname`, `port search pattern`, and
especially, though seemingly not all the time, `port installed` take a
lot longer to run than they used to under 1.7. (Feels that way at least)

The one that is very noticeable, as I never used `port info portname`
that much, instead, I have used `port edit portname` to see what the
port is, and answer any questions I may have pre-install.

As with 1.7, I did this to .profile:
# For MacPorts to use the correct editor locally, and pico remotely
# Can remove the call to `mate` on remote machine, needs window server
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/pico
if [[ -z $SSH_CLIENT ]]; then
        export EDITOR=/Users/me/bin/mate
else
        export EDITOR=/usr/bin/pico
fi;

I think MacPorts defaults to vi for a normal unchanged install, though
echo $EDITOR returns nothing.  Where is this defined when not set via
an export? Is it vi?  I never can seem to get the basic os what i need
to know about that apps usage to be even remotely proficient.

At any rate, `port edit portname` takes a long time.  In the case of
being local, and using `mate`, a way to send arbitrary data to open in
TextMate, that takes the longest.  Yes, textMate is already launched.
You can do nice things like `mate ~/macports/category/portname/` and
it will open a project of all the files.

$echo "foo" | ~/bin/mate
	Opens TextMate instantly, under 1 second, with 'foo' in a new
	document, even if TextMate is not open, TextMate is a fast launcher
regardless.

$port edit portname
	Regardless of port size, 3x, or more, to open TextMate.  The same is
true
	on another machine where I only have ssh access, so `mate` is not part
	of my .profile, I just changed it to pico/nano.

This slowness is following me from one machine to another.  Not a big
deal at all, I am talking seconds here, and in large part, a
"feeling".  But I am just wondering, did 1.8 slow down in some regards?