PortGroup Perl

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Fri Nov 13 13:58:02 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 09:00:14PM -0500, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> When do we plan to shift the default perl version to 5.10?
>
> If the timing of the next release is relevant, we've received a submission for 5.12-devel (#22438).

	I made some changes to the perl5 and perl5.10 ports
to better accomodate using the perl5 port to install either
perl5.8 or perl5.10 [1].  I have a few changes to make to the
perl5.8 port, then some testing.   The changes should allow
anyone to install either perl5.8 or perl5.10 and have that
version of perl be the one that is used.
	I've successfully tested that much by installing
perl5 (using perl5.10) and then installing a large number
of perl modules.  There may still be ports that require
perl5.8 rather than perl5, if anyone has cycles to find
and resolve those ports that'd be great.

		-eric

[1]:
	The basic idea is to have perl5 continue to
default to perl5.8, I added a variant (+perl5_10)
that installs perl5.10 instead of perl5.8.  I've
also changed perl5.10 to conflict with perl5.8 unless
+mangle_names is installed, which, well, mangles the
names of the binaries, man pages, etc. (as the perl5.10
port currently does).  I plan to do the conflicts (w/ perl5.10)
and mangling variant to the perl5.8 port.