ImageMagic & Ghostscript

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu Oct 1 14:04:08 PDT 2009

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't create a png
thumbnail from a pdf using apache2/php5 exec(convert from to).

Turns out convert uses gs "GhostScript" to work with pdf's and the
path to gs was not found by convert.

I found by editing the ImageMagick file "/opt/local/lib/
ImageMagick-6.5.5/config/delegates.xml" and changing:
command=""gs"
command=""/opt/local/bin/gs"

solved my problem.

Maybe there is a better way. If not I'm wondering about the rest of
the paths in the delgates file.

If editing this file is the preferred way then maybe this should be
done by MP at install.

// Brad