Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Mark A. Miller mark at mirell.org
Fri Oct 2 18:54:21 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> We could provide such a script, but if we set MANPATH in it, it would have
> the disadvantage of making MANPATH nonempty again and thus disabling the
> automatic manpage finding feature which the user may have been relying on
> for other manpages. The discussion was between having a directory under
> ${prefix} which would behave like a prefix for GNU software -- would contain
> bin and share directories -- or making GNU subdirectories within both the
> ${prefix}/bin and ${prefix}/share directories; the automatic manpage finding
> feature wouldn't be able to find the manpages given that layout.

Reviving this discussion again since it died out. From my viewpoint, as one
of the types of people that already do something like this on their own
system, but would like MacPorts to automagically handle it, man pages are
not a big deal. I just want the unprefixed binaries for scripts and the
like.

--
Mark A. Miller
mark at mirell.org