py26-numpy, py26-scipy, and macports atlas/lapack/blas

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 4 19:57:25 PDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 20:10, Jack Howarth wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 07:50:16PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 4, 2009, at 17:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Last I checked gcc42 still wouldn't build, but perhaps r57804 fixed
>>> that. I will try again now.
>>
>> Ok, gcc42 still doesn't build for me and at least one other person on
>> Snow Leopard; see:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21665
>
> It shouldn't come as a surprise as the patches I submitted for
> FSF gcc only went into gcc trunk for gcc 4.4 and later...

I suggested in my previous message that perhaps your patches had not
been used by MacPorts, since you already said your patches do not work
for gcc43, yet gcc43 was modified to work on Snow Leopard.

> Considering that gcc 4.2.x is currently depreciated and
> unmaintained by upstream, it is rather pointless to keep
> it when gcc44 works as well across all architectures.
> The only reason Apple is stuck at 4.2.1 is because of
> the GPLv3 licensing issues.

My motivation for gcc42 at this moment is pdftk which does not compile
with greater than gcc42.

There are some patches for pdftk from other distributions, though, of
which I have just been made aware, which are supposed to help with
this, which I will attempt to look into and incorporate.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15420