Make "startupitem.create" yes imply "install.asroot yes"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 5 03:54:53 PDT 2009

Ever since 1.8.0 I have been having trouble with my non-root MacPorts
installs. I used to be able to install normal ports with e.g. "port
install zlib" and ports that required root with e.g. "sudo port
install lighttpd". As of 1.8.0, I now get a permission error when
trying to install such ports, even though I'm using sudo. This has got
to be the new privilege-dropping code from the GSoC '08 privileges
branch. I have tried to read the documentation on that branch in the
wiki. It seems we're now supposed to add "install.asroot yes" to ports
that need it. I did this for lighttpd but it seems silly to have to do
this manually for every port that makes a startupitem; there are quite
a few of them. Can we have MacPorts automatically set "install.asroot
yes" when "startupitem.create yes" is set (and "startupitem.type" is
not "none")? Or is there a reason why that's a bad idea?