php values

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Oct 6 15:05:05 PDT 2009

Thought I would post this here first, if this is the wrong place, any
ideas on the best place to get an answer...

If I put this in a virtual host container in httpd.conf php will be off
php_value engine off

This will not turn it on, and the request for the file will download
the file.
php_value engine on

Removing the setting turns on php.

I would like to have a httpd.conf default, that has php off, and then
over-ride it to "on" for specific sites.  Does anyone remember if pre
5.3 an "on" setting worked, or is the idea.

I can not seem to even find the docs on this setting with regard to 5.3