Future of setuptools and distribute in MacPorts

Andre Stechert stechert at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:45:48 PDT 2009

> Moving over to distribute is one possibility, but the discussion on (at
> least) distutils-sig seems like the python community hasn't quite decided on
> where things are going yet...at least with the patched setuptools things
> should still work as well as they have until we have a clearer overall idea
> of where things will be going.

I think Guido just made things a lot clearer:

"I think at this point the community should not be forced wait for you
to get a new supply of round tuits. The wait has been too long
already. You can stay on in an advisory role, but I don't think it's
reasonable to block development or decisions until you have time."

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/092674.html

and:

"I'm saying that I don't expect setuptools 0.7 to appear before Tarek's
Distribute is mature and in widespread use. IOW I support Tarek's fork
and suggest nobody hold their breath waiting for setuptools 0.7."

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/092678.html

Cheers,
Andre