confusion in base regarding [option os.arch] and ${os.arch}

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 01:34:34 PDT 2009

Joshua Root wrote:

>> While you are changing things, you might want to replace
>> [option os.platform] with something that includes version,
>> so that it'd look in e.g. "darwin/10" instead of in "darwin" ?

> These are definitely changes that need to be made, but be aware that
> they need to fit in with the switch to registry2.0 (and subsequently
> actually recording all the relevant info in the registry) as well
> as the
> images-and-archives branch stuff (which I believe just needs code to
> migrate existing installations before it's ready to merge back to
> trunk).

Just thought you might want to keep it in mind, for the change...
(i.e. so that whoever is doing the switch and the merging is aware)
Using ${os.platform} and ${os.arch} used to be enough information,
but it probably needs more. Like the os release or the build arch.

It needs to be fixed in the RPM packages as well, currently those
are using "Requires: org.macports.darwin8" and no extra --target.
It should probably set --target=x86_64 when doing the rpmbuild ?
Otherwise it'll use %_build_platform, which is i386 (from uname).

Still seems like a design flaw to have build_arch in the "configure"
namespace, but that's another story. At least it's not "universal".

--anders