confusion in base regarding [option os.arch] and ${os.arch}

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 04:07:51 PDT 2009

Joshua Root wrote:

>> It should have, otherwise it would be cross-compiling to another
>> arch ?
>> (which is interesting in itself, but not supported by MacPorts afaik)
>
> Building for ppc on an x86 machine should work fine AFAIK (thanks to
> Rosetta), building for x86 on ppc probably less so.

Building for x86 on ppc also works if the software being built is
careful
about build vs. host programs and so and so forth (cross-compilation).

But what I meant was that it is unsupported in MacPorts (not on Mac
OS X),
mostly due to all the +powerpc and similar target stuff being totally
off...

--anders