wxPython-devel fork?

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Sat Oct 10 07:44:09 PDT 2009

On 8.10.2009, at 19.25, Frank Schima wrote:

> Hi Vince,
>

> On Sep 23, 2009, at 5:04 AM, vincent habchi wrote:
>
>> I have ported the Grass (v. 6.4) GIS app to MacPorts in my private
>> tree. However, Grass relies on Wxpython. In order to get a
>> universal build, I had to use the svn version of Wxpython, the only
>> one compatible with the newest wxWidgets 2.9.0, which features the
>> osx_cocoa 32/64-build.
>>
>> The standard wxWidgets-devel Portfile, while up to date, lacks the
>> universal/cocoa option. I have a private version of the port called
>> wxWidgets29, that serves as a foundation for both my private "py26-
>> wxpython-devel" port and Grass.
>>
>> In order to commit Grass and py26-wxpython-devel, is it reasonable
>> to fork wxwindows-devel in wxwindows29 or shall I modify the
>> wxwindows-devel portfile? I proposed the patched version to the
>> owners, but got no response. I feel wxwindows-devel should follow
>> wxWindows development (even into 3.0) while wxwindows29 could be
>> used only for the 2.9 unstable branch.
>>
>> Opinion?
>
> Since there are no opinions on this, I'd say do what you think is
> best. I think your proposal makes sense. With regards to grass, I
> would update the current "grass" port to 6.4 and link to the wx*-
> devel ports, and make a new "grass63" port with the current grass
> portfile. Usually the ports with a version in the name are the old
> ones.

Hi,
I'd say it would be most reasonable to modify the current wxWidgets-
devel (since it's a -devel port, one is free to experiment, or?).

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386