getting pymol into ports/science?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 11 13:32:17 PDT 2009

On Oct 11, 2009, at 13:29, Jack Howarth wrote:

>  I have had pymol as an open ticket for several weeks
> now...
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21376
>
> What exactly is the process for getting a package
> into the dports archive so that it is available to other
> users?

You file a ticket, and if nobody commits it after a few days, you ping
the list, like you're doing now.

> The absence of scientific packages like pymol
> costs MacPorts a lot of potential users. It also is
> one if the most severe tests of the OpenGL support
> in X11 so it should be available for testing the
> Xquartz releases on MacPorts. Currently it works fine
> when built against a tcl which uses--disable-core-foundation...
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21968

I've assigned the ticket to tcl's maintainer for comment. But if he
doesn't, we can feel free to commit it since the port is openmaintainer.

> FYI, if MacPorts had wider range of packages, the breakage
> in tcl (as of 8.5.7) would have been more easily noticed.

That could be true. :) Thank you for contributing pymol and
discovering this problem.