users confusing selfupdate and sync

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Oct 15 11:57:45 PDT 2009

I've seen lots and lots of people suggesting the use of sync and never
realizing that they weren't upgrading MacPorts.  I've found it rather
frustrating because it does not seem to be getting better.

Is there a way we can better document this or perhaps change the
functionality?

We could slip an option into sync so that it does selfupdate unless
you pass it an argument (e.g., sync --portsonly).  This will not force
users to be re-educated and it will provide the benefit of ensuring
people are upgrading correctly.

Thoughts?