users confusing selfupdate and sync

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 16:04:09 PDT 2009

On 15 Oct 2009, at 23:31, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I have my own little shell script that does (amongst other things)
>>
>> sudo port -v selfupdate
>> sudo port outdated
>> #sudo port upgrade outdated
>> #sudo port uninstall -f inactive
>> echo All Done
>>
>> The commented lines are because a few versions of Macports ago, if
>> you tried
>> sudo port upgrade outdated
>> and "outdated" was nothing, ie nothing needed upgrading, then there
>> was a very confusing error message.
>>
>> But I've just tried it in 1.8.1 and although it could be slightly
>> better it's not as bad as it once was.
>>
>> iMac:~ $ sudo port upgrade outdated
>> Error: No ports matched the given expression
>>
>> "There are no upgrades available in MacPorts for your installed
>> ports."
>> is perhaps a clearer message for users in this case.
>
> This happens because the expansion of commands is done right to
> left.  We don't know that we're upgrading until after we've tried to
> match "outdated."

As I say, it's better now than the scenario a few versions back (1.7)

Two previous threads on that were from late December 2008
     inconsistent error mesgs (1.7)
     Error message when nothing to upgrade?

At that time the error printed was
         Error: No ports found

But it's still true that although
         Error: No ports matched the given expression
is *technically* correct, it's still not entirely user friendly for
the masses.

Mark