Dependency on developer tools

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Fri Oct 23 13:14:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 02:39:38PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2009, at 14:32, Michael Crawford wrote:
>
>> Apple's versions of the GNU toolchain are open source, and available
>> from http://opensource.apple.com/
>>
>> Suppose one were to build just enough of a toolchain to be able to
>> build a MacPort, and provided just that as a binary download, that
>> would get installed if Xcode wasn't installed.
>
> I don't see the benefit. We have always required Xcode be installed.
> Let's continue to do so, and alert the user about this requirement in
> the installer if necessary.

I know in fink, if one does a clean install that blows away the
Xcode installation, when the installed fink is executed it does
a check for a system compiler and throws an error that Xcode
needs to be installed if it doesn't find one. Something like that
would be fine. Trying to maintain a separate toolchain using
Apple's open source releases seems to be asking for trouble
since it assumes that the open source tool chain releases are
throughly tested in that configuration (outside of the Xcode
installation).
          Jack