Dependency on developer tools

Lee Azzarello lee at dropio.com
Fri Oct 23 13:17:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

>  I would be willing to wager there is a disproportionate amount of users
>> that are on PPC using MacPorts.
>>

> I don't doubt that there are still Mac users with PowerPC Macs using
> MacPorts. But I am contending that the number of software developers and
> port maintainers with PowerPC Macs is decreasing, meaning developers and
> maintainers are more likely to introduce PowerPC-only bugs that go
> undetected.

If this process could be reliably automated, an old G4 in a basement that
gets powered on every few months would work as a build box. It would also
help to have a packaging policy and a reliable way to report errors.

> I also once suggested that MacPorts should send stats about what got
> installed up to our server so we can tell what ports are popular, and also
> what kinds of systems people are running them on. But this was seen as
> "phoning home" and an invasion of privacy. It could be an opt-in feature,
> but I thought this would make it less useful.

How about a "popularity contest" port that a user can install optionally to
gather stats about installed architectures?