Port Function to Handle OS Upgrades

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Oct 23 13:19:24 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-24 06:44, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> What are our thoughts on providing a new function to handle preparing
> for an OS upgrade (or run immediately following)?
>
> This procedure would need to:
>  * remove all build directories
>  * trash all irrelevant archives
>  * dump a list of what is installed (either to be read in by another
> function or simply catted to port)
>  * uninstall everything

This is all possible already, as has been mentioned. But what is not
currently provided is a way to reinstall the ports from the dumped list,
in correct dependency order with the right variants. Someone wrote an
external script to do this a while back; you should be able to find it
in the list archives.

- Josh