Dependency on developer tools

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 13:48:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> On 2009-10-24 07:00, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> You just saddened me as I run multiple PPC servers :)
>> Do you have stats?  I would be willing to wager there is a
>> disproportionate amount of users that are on PPC using MacPorts.
>
> That has no effect on the fact that maintainers can only test on the
> hardware they have.

A workaround for that is to test PPC under Rosetta.  It's not a
perfect test but it would be sufficient for most purposes.

If one builds Universal, perhaps there could be some automated way to
set up a test that would use Rosetta for everything.  One solution
would be to use the find command to run lipo on all the executables,
to delete all the Intel code, leaving just PowerPC.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com