Dependency on developer tools

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Oct 23 14:56:16 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 1:21 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2009, at 15:17, Lee Azzarello wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I also once suggested that MacPorts should send stats about what
>>> got installed up to our server so we can tell what ports are
>>> popular, and also what kinds of systems people are running them
>>> on. But this was seen as "phoning home" and an invasion of
>>> privacy. It could be an opt-in feature, but I thought this would
>>> make it less useful.
>>
>> How about a "popularity contest" port that a user can install
>> optionally to gather stats about installed architectures?
>
> That's funny. :) And I like it. It also solves the problem of how to
> ask the user if they want it. I was dreading adding interactivity to
> either the disk image installer or the selfupdate mechanism. Having
> it all encapsulated within a port is a great idea.

I love this, for just how amazingly simple it would be to support the
backend of the data collection.  If no one minds, I would like to open
a ticket, or be pointed to one, that shows the data that would be
desirable to collect.

I am thinking, OS version, architecture, MP version, and installed
ports along with their versions.  I suppose inactive ports may be
nice, but I am not sure, I have a lot hanging around from upgrades,
that I have just been too lazy to remove, so to me, those are just
noise.