Dependency on developer tools

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Oct 25 02:02:13 PDT 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:

> Looking over the MP website install notes. I see dev tools is
> required.
>
> This bit me once, I stupidly set up a new machine and just forgot
> to install dev tools.
>
> Is there any good reason MP should not stop the installer if it
> does not detect a valid dev tool install?
>
> Seems to me a better end user experience.

Only building packages requires the Development Tools...
e.g. viewing package information, downloading distfiles,
installing archives does *not* require development tools.
So it shouldn't be a hard requirement in order to use MP.

However, one might want to have the MacPorts Installer (DMG)
require Xcode Tools to be installed first - just like it will
mangle your PATHs for you and run a "port selfupdate" for you.
But it should not be a requirement for the manual base install.

--anders