Snow Leopard +universal necessity

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 06:18:45 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 08:09, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> On Snow Leopard, we build x86_64 by default. But there are some
>> ports, e.g. wine, that cannot build 64-bit, so they force
>> themselves to build 32-bit instead. But that means all the
>> dependencies must also be 32-bit, or 32-/64-bit universal. So it
>> seems like it should probably be our recommendation to all Snow
>> Leopard users to install all possible ports +universal for x86_64/
>> i386, to avoid pain down the road when the user wants to install a
>> port that happens to only be available as 32-bit. Most easily this
>> could be accomplished by putting "+universal" into variants.conf.
>> Maybe we should even do so in the default variants.conf on Snow
>> Leopard.
>>
>> Not installing dependencies universal causes issues like this:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20912
>
> Sounds reasonable, however I wonder if this is a temporary issue
> that impacts a handful of ports.  Do you know if there are many
> projects apart from wine that need 32-bit?
>
> I'd say that, if it does impact several ports to go for it.  If it's
> only wine or one or two other ports, I'd leave things as they are
> and post it as a known bug.

I guess there are several ports that will not work 64-bit, we just
haven't come across them yet. I imagine a lot of the bugs currently
classified as Snow Leopard-related issues are in fact 64-bit-related.
So far I see the following ports forcing themselves to 32-bit builds:

bochs
synergy
wine
wine-crossover-games