TeX (texlive) port status?

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Sun Sep 6 07:56:49 PDT 2009

On 04/set/09, at 11:04, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:

> Note that the debian texlive package is also still 2007.

iirc this is due to TeXLive 2008 having its own file manager, tlmgr,
and that could conflict with Debian packaging system.
How do Macports cope with ports that have their own packaging system,
i.e. octave or luarocks (that I ported) for instance? Is there an
official guideline?

> The preferred (by texlive) distribution of texlive for macosx is
> mactex, which is uptodate,
> contains great apps and is configured to work out of the box. And
> which
> may be recognised by macports as filling the dependency for tex...

I'm interested in this, do you mean by using file dependencies rather
than port dependencies in single portfiles that depend on texlive or
is there a general way to make Macports aware of an installed TeX
distribution?
I found myself having very small typesetting needs thus I ended using
BasicTeX that, as far as I understand, is from MacTeX core too. I'd
like to use binaries I already have rather than building texlive that
is kind of a big port.

Regards

--
Andrea