Libraries not being installed with +universal

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 13:53:22 PDT 2009

>> Trying to reinstall a bunch of libraries. Starting with everything gone
>
> I can't explain why this is happening for you. pkgconfig, libiconv, gettext,
> glib2, zlib -- they can all be built universal. They do get built universal
> when I request it. I just tried in a fresh MacPorts install on Snow Leopard
> and it works fine. I'll paste my output at the bottom of this email. There
> are differences between my output and yours:
>
> 1. Your output keeps stating "Computing dependencies for" before every
> dependency; I've only ever seen that shown as the very first line for the
> port you requested, not for the dependencies.
>
> 2. Your output starts with "Configuring pkgconfig" -- what happened to
> fetching, verifying checksums, and extracting? Maybe the port was not clean.
>
> 3. Your output shows these ports being installed: pkgconfig, libiconv,
> gettext, glib2, zlib, atk. My output shows many more ports and in a
> different order: expat, gperf, libiconv, ncursesw, ncurses, gettext,
> perl5.8, perl5, pkgconfig, glib2, atk, zlib, etc. Did you actually type
> "sudo port install gtk2 +universal" or did you separately install each port?

I stopped there because after that point it was making both x86 and
PPC. Those were the ones that only built PPC.

> 4. My universal build is x86_64/i386 because I am on Snow Leopard. Yours
> shows ppc/i386 so I assume you are on Leopard or Tiger? On what kind of
> computer? Are you using MacPorts 1.8.0 or some version from trunk? Do you
> have any variants specified in variants.conf? If so, what are they?

10.5 (I can't keep the names straight), 1.8.0, PPC mac (universal =
PPC/i386, not i386/x86_64).

(Yea, I have to remember that "x86" is now ambiguous -- it's either
i386 or x86_64.)

Alright, so the most likely explanation is that I wasn't as clean as I thought.

Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ port-rdeps gtk2 | awk '{print $1}' | sort |
uniq > /tmp/portlist
Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ head /tmp/portlist
Dependencies
Xft2
atk
autoconf
automake
cairo
expat
fontconfig
freetype
gettext

Whoops -- forgot that first line. Fix that.

Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ sudo !!
sudo port -f uninstall `cat /tmp/portlist`
Password:
--->  Unable to uninstall Xft2 2.1.13_2+universal, the following ports
depend on it:
--->  	tk
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating Xft2 @2.1.13_2+universal
--->  Uninstalling Xft2 @2.1.13_2+universal
--->  Deactivating atk @1.26.0_1+universal
--->  Uninstalling atk @1.26.0_1+universal
--->  Deactivating autoconf @2.64_2
--->  Uninstalling autoconf @2.64_2
--->  Deactivating automake @1.11_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling automake @1.11_0+universal
--->  Unable to uninstall expat 2.0.1_0+universal, the following ports
depend on it:
--->  	p5-xml-parser
--->  	intltool

- snip -

Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$
Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ port installed
  bzip2 @1.0.5_2+darwin (active)
  db46 @4.6.21_5 (active)
  gdbm @1.8.3_1 (active)
  libogg @1.1.4_0+universal (active)
  libsdl @1.2.13_6+universal (active)
  libsdl_mixer @1.2.8_1+universal (active)
  libsdl_ttf @2.0.9_0+universal (active)
  libtheora @1.0_0+darwin_powerpc+universal (active)
  libvorbis @1.2.3_0+universal (active)
  openssl @0.9.8k_0+darwin (active)
  python25 @2.5.4_6+darwin_9+macosx+universal (active)
  readline @6.0.000_1+darwin (active)
  smpeg @0.4.4_8+universal (active)
  sqlite3 @3.6.17_0 (active)
  tcl @8.5.6_0+darwin+universal (active)
  tk @8.5.6_1+darwin (active)
  xorg-libXScrnSaver @1.2.0_0 (active)
  xorg-scrnsaverproto @1.2.0_0 (active)
  XviD @1.2.2_0+universal (active)
Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$

Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ port installed | grep -v universal
  bzip2 @1.0.5_2+darwin (active)
  db46 @4.6.21_5 (active)
  gdbm @1.8.3_1 (active)
  openssl @0.9.8k_0+darwin (active)
  readline @6.0.000_1+darwin (active)
  sqlite3 @3.6.17_0 (active)
  tk @8.5.6_1+darwin (active)
  xorg-libXScrnSaver @1.2.0_0 (active)
  xorg-scrnsaverproto @1.2.0_0 (active)

I think that's pretty clean. Compile:

Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ sudo port install gtk2 +universal
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for gtk2
--->  Fetching expat
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for expat
--->  Extracting expat
--->  Configuring expat
--->  Building expat
--->  Staging expat into destroot
--->  Installing expat @2.0.1_0+universal
--->  Activating expat @2.0.1_0+universal
--->  Cleaning expat
--->  Fetching gperf
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gperf
--->  Extracting gperf
--->  Configuring gperf
--->  Configuring gperf for architecture ppc

Alright, it's compiling, but that first port -- expat -- going in as
universal in only one form?

Lets see how it continues