-p option seems to be ignored

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 8 12:51:29 PDT 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 14:17, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Toby Peterson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 09:05, Michael_google wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to compile a bunch of libraries for gtk2
>>>
>>> Note the -p option:
>>>
>>> Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ sudo port -p install gtk2 +universal
>>
>> You only specified one port; nothing to continue to.
>
> This package has many dependencies.
> It stopped when the first dependency failed.
>
> I'm expecting behavior like "make -k" -- continue building as much
> as possible.

Yeah, and as far as I can tell that's not what port -p does.

sudo port -p install A B

will proceed to work on B if A fails. That's about it.

minivmac-devel currently fails on Snow Leopard for reasons I am still
investigating. So for example:

$ sudo port extract minivmac-devel minivmac
--->  Computing dependencies for minivmac-devel
--->  Fetching minivmac-devel
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for minivmac-devel
--->  Extracting minivmac-devel
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: setting nonzero
rsrclength not supported
$

See, it stopped after the failure of minivmac-devel and didn't proceed
to the other port I requested, minivmac. If I use -p:

$ sudo port -p extract minivmac-devel minivmac
--->  Computing dependencies for minivmac-devel
--->  Fetching minivmac-devel
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for minivmac-devel
--->  Extracting minivmac-devel
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: setting nonzero
rsrclength not supported
--->  Computing dependencies for minivmac
--->  Fetching minivmac
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for minivmac
--->  Extracting minivmac
$

Now it proceeds past the failure of minivmac-devel and continues on to
the other port I requested.