[MacPorts] #21237: mcpp doesn't build under Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 9 14:29:44 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 16:04, Uwe Arzt wrote:

> What is the preferred proceeding  for fixing bugs like that? I
> haven' t tested it under leopard and also not under other os like
> linux. So my patch was -at that moment- meant as a hint to the port
> maintainer (and in this case also the software developer).

The problem should probably be reported to the software developer.

> Should patches always be tested under Leopard and Tiger also? If
> yes, is there a machine available at the internet (because at the
> moment i have only one Mac, running under Snow Leopard)?

Ideally one would test everything under all available OSes but I would
be surprised if anybody actually does -- even those few who actually
have access.

I just tested and it still builds fine under Leopard and Tiger.

Although we state that MacPorts can be used on operating systems other
than Mac OS X / Darwin, I would be surprised if more than a handful of
people are actually doing so, so changes that break on those other
operating systems aren't the end of the world. But if you already know
that a change you're proposing is Mac-specific, then it should go in a
"platform darwin" section.