"niced" processes on leopard

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 11 05:06:22 PDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Toby Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:30, Yen, Wenchieh <yenwenchieh at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> while some have already embraced snow leopard, I just moved on to
>> leopard.
>>
>> to my surprise that the old school nice/renice don't seem to work any
>> more, though ps -l still says that the processes are niced. the
>> 'buildnicevalue' in macports.conf has thus no effect at all.
>>
>> Perhaps someone can give me a lesson or two about the most
>> "advanced" OS?
>
> I don't understand what you're asking. Could you explain what behavior
> you're seeing and how this differs from your expectations?
>
> - Toby

I reported this bug to Apple right after Leopard came out. Now we have
Snow Leopard.  As a solution Apple has removed the "Nice" category
from the CPU section of Activity Monitor.  :(

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X ver 10.6 Darwin 10.6
XQuartz 2.3.4 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple45)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non