more verbosity

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 12 15:41:02 PDT 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 17:38, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2009, at 17:33, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
>>  Is there a general conf setting I can change
>> so that port output is always verbose during the
>> build (or just a specific phase)? It is nice that
>> port spews out the compilation when a compile time
>> error is hit but while working up packaging I would
>> like to see the actual build in detail.
>
> There's no conf setting; you must use the "-d" switch every time.
>
> sudo port -d install something

Due to the volume of information printed by the -d switch, its use can
cause you to overlook important messages ports sometimes print out.
For developing your own portfiles using -d is great and helpful, but
for general use, I recommend you install and upgrade ports without the
-d flag, and if you encounter an error, then clean the affected port
and try again with -d to see the full error.