startupitems and port load

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sat Sep 12 16:51:13 PDT 2009

Does `sudo port load ...` do a force load (`launchctl load -F ...`) or
does it write it out as runnable (`launchctl load -w ...`)?
If it writes it out, is this the preferred way to run ports with
startupitems?
When creating your own launchd files, how does one correctly install it?

I've heard that using daemondo allows us to account for ports that
don't expect launchd to handle them.  I think that we should go a
little beyond this and determine if we should use it or not.

I propose that we avoid using daemondo only if the portfile explicitly
uses launchd, maintaining backwards compatibility.  Any thoughts on
this?