gcc44

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Sep 12 19:30:46 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:13:28PM -0400, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> I'll have to think about this for awhile. From config.log in
>> /opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_howarth_ports_lang_gcc44/work/
>> build/x86_64-apple-darwin10.0.0/libgcc
>> something is passing CFLAGS='-g -O2 -arch x86_64'. You really don't
>> want to be doing that. Anyone know
>> where is being set and how we can disable it?
>

> configure.cflags is set to configure.optflags by default, and
> configure.optflags is set to -O2 by default.
>
> The -arch might be from configure.universal_ldflags ... no clue where -g
> comes from.

I just checked in a Portfile-config_guess-fix.diff on ticket 20838
which with the gcc44-config.guess.diff eliminates the multilib breakage.
My build is still going (out here on my laptop so only two cores).
Hopefully the rest of the packaging file is still valid and that is all
I had to fix.
           Jack
ps They might want to add back in a test for the i386-apple-darwin* target
and passs --with-arch=nocona --with-tune=generic to configure on that
target. Mike Stump at Apple always recommended those setting for best
performance on Core2 Duo and related Xeons. I did that on fink's gcc4x
packages. For x86_64-apple-darwin*, it doesn't appear to make a difference.