x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Sep 13 11:14:54 PDT 2009

Jack Howarth wrote:

> Anders,
>    Where exactly are the packages files created by port stored? I
> don't
> see anything obvious in /opt/local's subdirectories. Also, are the
> architecture of the packages present in their filenames or do I need
> to invoke a command from port to see that information?
>                  Jack

I think that /opt/local/var/macports/packages is rather obvious :-)
And the architecture is in the filenames, like foo-1.0_0.i386.tgz

But it's still confusing, since they had to be split up between
"archives" (such as .tgz or .xpkg) and "packages" (like .rpm or .pkg)
where the archives are the "internal" binaries that are used by
port -b and the packages are "external" binaries *unknown* to port.

More details available at http://guide.macports.org/#using.binaries,
but you can't mix ports and packages like you can in Fink or FreeBSD.

--anders