x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Sep 13 11:37:55 PDT 2009

Jack Howarth wrote:

> Anders,
>    I don't have that subdirectory. In /opt/local/var/macports
> all I see is...
>
> [Macintosh-2:local/var/macports] howarth% ls -a
> .		.tclpackage	distfiles	receipts	sources
> ..		build		port-help.tcl	software
>
> Since this was the first time I ever installed MacPorts, I used the
> Snow Leopard dmg of MacPorts 1.8.0 and then used the "sudo port -v
> selfupdate"
> command.

Sorry, forgot two important macports.conf changes that I do:

# Create and use binary archive packages for installation/
reinstallation ease
portarchivemode		yes

# Set whether to automatically execute "clean" after "install" of ports
portautoclean		no

Then you can package anything up by using "port archive"...

RPM packages are created under /opt/local/src/{macports,rpm}
depending on which RPM version that you install (4.x or 5.x).

I believe the other package types are created somewhere in the
work directory of the port, i.e. `port work foo`. See the docs ?

--anders