x11 virtual packages?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sun Sep 13 15:03:36 PDT 2009

   Back to one of the first bugs I found in
MacPorts 1.8.0 when building test packaging for
the molmol molecular modelling program. I have
determined that the glw component is working
fine but have some concerns about the missing
gui widgets in the motif interface of molmol
being due to an incomplete installation of x11
in MacPorts.
   This leads to the question of x11 virtual
packages. Do we have some way to install a
x11 virtual package that would trigger the
installation of a fairly complete x11 installation?
My understanding from Jeremy Huddleston was
that all MacPorts packages should be built against
the x11 packages in MacPorts and not the system
or X11 Xquartz x11 installations. It might be
useful to be able to effectively achieve a
complete x11 installation in MacPorts via a
virtual package rather than to require the user to
depend on individual packages understanding all
of the required x11 components they should
depend on. Specifically, I am wondering if something
could me missing from my MacPorts x11 installation
that doesn't break the molmol build but effects
the execution of molmol under these x11 libraries.
         Jack