co-existing pythons?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Sep 14 09:21:12 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:02:08AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 11:00, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:50, Jack Howarth wrote:
>>
>>> Actually one reason I asked the question was that
>>> while trying to debug the problems I am seeing with
>>> my test packaging of the molmol molecular modelling
>>> program, I tried to build molmol against lesstif instead
>>> of openmotif. In that case, the lesstif package wanted
>>> me to deactive the openmotif package.
>>
>> How did the lesstif package tell you this?
>
> Having tried it myself now, I see:
>
> --->  Installing lesstif @0.95.2_1+universal
> --->  Activating lesstif @0.95.2_1+universal
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
> bin/mwm is being used by the active openmotif port.  Please deactivate
> this port first, or use 'port -f activate lesstif' to force the
> activation.
>
> So yes, both ports install the same file, so the ports should be marked
> as conflicting with one another, and you can only have one or the other.

Yes, this is one thing I definitely miss from fink. Most packages providing
development libraries are either present as...

foobar         headers
foobar-bin     binaries
foobar-shlibs  shared libraries

or

foobar-dev     headers
foobar         binaries
foobar-shlibs  shared libraries

So for lesstif.info, openmotif3.info and openmotif4.info, the lesstif-shlibs, openmotif3-shlibs
and openmotif4-shlibs debs can co-exist. The lesstif, openmotif3 and openmotif4 debs with
the headers, static libs and symlinks for the shared libs as libXm.dylib, libMrm.dylib
conflict. Lastly the debs for lesstif-bin, openmotif3-bin and openmotif4-bin conflict. That
packaging approach worked very well for me when I maintained those packages in fink.
                       Jack