Interesting survey on Snow Leopard package managers

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Sep 14 12:54:21 PDT 2009

--On September 14, 2009 2:58:30 PM -0400 Jack Howarth
<howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:

>    True perhaps, but simple logic dictates that it is bad form for
> configure to think it is compiling code for a 32-bit architecture
> and then gcc to start generating 64-bit code behind its back. Remember
> that Apple has done something no one has ever done before...create
> an operating system that runs a 32-bit kernel but 64-bit executables.

I have to agree with Jack on this issue.  Having worked on and with
various compilers and operating systems for over 40 years I've seen far
too many problems caused by people trying to second guess what the
compiler or system thinks it should be doing.  I've also had a few
problems with MacPorts caused by it's use of -arch and -m64 flags.

    Mike Alexander