Interesting survey on Snow Leopard package managers

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Sep 14 13:15:50 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:08 PM, vincent habchi wrote:
>> K64 makes no difference - config.guess uses uname -p, which is i386
>> on
>> K32 and K64. The fact is that arch/uname aren't the correct tools for
>> determing the answer to this particular question.
>
> Granted that point, is it possible to build, or provide, a modified
> version of uname, to be put in the tools or whatever suitable
> directory, and that would override /usr/bin/uname with more sensible
> data? Does it make sense?

No, but it's probably possible to get configure to correctly build a
triple by using other tools (like it has to do on solaris, for example).

It sounds like that's what Jack has done with his updated
configure.guess...

I would tend to agree with Toby, though, that this probably isn't
something that needs to be addressed by base/
--
Daniel J. Luke