Interesting survey on Snow Leopard package managers

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:53:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:21:42PM +0200, vincent habchi wrote:

>>> Granted that point, is it possible to build, or provide, a modified
>>> version of uname, to be put in the tools or whatever suitable
>>> directory, and that would override /usr/bin/uname with more sensible
>>> data? Does it make sense?
>>
>> No, but it's probably possible to get configure to correctly build a
>> triple by using other tools (like it has to do on solaris, for
>> example).
>>
>> It sounds like that's what Jack has done with his updated
>> configure.guess...
>>
>> I would tend to agree with Toby, though, that this probably isn't
>> something that needs to be addressed by base/
>
> Could it also be reported as a bug to Apple, to be modified in a future
> SL patch? After all, if I read the manpage correctly, uname -p is
> supposed to reflect the processor architecture, which is not the
> architecture the kernel was build for.
>
> V.

These have been reported to Apple as radar 6707283, "arch command reports incorrect architecture without
arguments", and radar 6407447 ,"uname -p, uname -m and uname -a give inaccurate results in Snow Leopard".
Apple is not going to change this from their side as they view as misuse of uname by config.guess (hence
the patch). Take a look at http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?6827 where this issue was first reported.
Also note that this problem disappears when you are running Snow Leopard under the 64-bit kernel. Apple
wants to tether uname -p and uname -m to the code execution of the kernel and not the executables (for
whatever reason) and that won't change.
                      Jack

6707283