Fwd: Interesting survey on Snow Leopard package managers

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Sep 14 14:23:24 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 02:08:41PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 14:03, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
> > Apple decided to tether uname -m and uname -p to the kernel code
> > execution (hence this problem goes away when running the 64-bit kernel).
>
> Also, as I noted in a previous email, this is not the case. 'uname -m'
> matches the kernel architecture, 'uname -p' is always i386.
>
> - Toby

Regardless that still doesn't get you anywhere with using uname in configure
because if you are on the 32-bit kernel, which is the default in Snow Leopard
workstation, uname -m or uname -p will always tell config.guess i386. I don't
see the complexity here. The output of config.guess should reflect the
default code generation and execution on the platform. Ben Elliston who is
the maintainer of config.guess agrees with me on this (we are only working
out the exact form of the patch). If you object to this, post to...

http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?6827

                    Jack