Interesting survey on Snow Leopard package managers

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Sep 14 14:41:32 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I have been having problems with either postfix or openssl and
>> these types of questions leave me very uneasy with production use
>> of MacPorts.
>> Unless the answer to my question is false :)
>
> You're worried about production use of 10.6 already?

No, I'm worried that packages built on any os would be passed compile
flags what were not appropriate and that the compile would complete
but the executable would be flawed due to the compile.

As I stated I have seen poor or sporadic performance from some ports
and I would like to think that it's something in my configuration and
not a bad executable.

Like I said, I don't have expertise here but I have read this thread
and it makes me thing there is something wrong with the MacPorts build
process.

Just answer me this. Regarding the arch flags and such of what this
thread has become, will the build process complete?
If so, then part of using MacPorts will be the ability to discover
improperly compiled code and report it to maintainers. I don't know
how to do this.

I won't be on 10.6 until MP 1.8 (or whatever the new version is) plays
well with 10.6 and even then I have a number of G5's so there.

// Brad