X11 and MacPorts

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Tue Sep 15 11:00:50 PDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 07:11, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Jeremy,
>    FYI, I've resigned all of my fink packages and
> have moved over to add those (where missing) to
> MacPorts. Did you get my emails to the macports-dev
> mailing list and get a chance to build the proposed
> molmol packaging to reproduce the missing widgets?

I've had a crazy last few weeks, so I am a bit behind on macports
mail... but I'll take a look when I get a chance later.

> The glw package in MacPorts is behaving normally
> as tested with the old opensolar.c sample code,
> however the widgets in molmol never appear either
> when built as a MacPorts package or directly
> against the MacPorts packages manually.

Is glw linking against the correct GL (/opt/local/lib/libGL.dylib
rather than OpenGL.framework)?

>    I am still wondering if the problem could be
> some missing component of X11 which doesn't prevent
> the build but effects the runtime? Have you considered
> adding a virtual package to Macports that would
> effect a more complete X11 installation to avoid
> such problems or don't you think they could exist?

It's been there since I addded the modular packages as a way for other
ports to transition to the new dependencies.  Some ports still have
the  'port:xorg-libs' dependency and have not been updated to list the
exact dependencies (feel free to fix those where you see them... I
believe they were mostly "dead" ports at this point).

You can also install 'xorg' which will pull in xorg-libs, xorg-apps,
mesa, and xorg-server

> Also what version of X11 is the MacPorts x11 packages
> based on (2.3.3.2 or 2.4.0)?

They're the latest versions available of the individual modules... so
at this point post 2.4.0.

I pulled in more "beta/rc" packages into what will be 2.4.1-alpha1
since I am less concerned about stability with the alpha packages than
with what is in MacPorts.

--Jeremy