request for configure clarifications on darwin10

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Sep 15 16:34:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 04:26:36PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 16:20, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
> > Only booting the 64-bit kernel returns
> > coherency to the situation with uname and arch reporting x86_64.
>
> This is not true. Jack, I've corrected you on this several times now.
> The only thing that changes on K64 is "uname -m", which config.guess
> does not use. The output of "arch" and "uname -p" is i386 regardless.
>
> - Toby

Toby,
   However you are assuming that configure can be passed -m64 or
-arch x86_64 on the CFLAGS while config.guess is reporting
i386-apple-darwin10 back to configure and still not be required
to pass --target=x86_64-apple-darwin10 to configure, correct?
In my reading of the configure documentation, the normal cross
compilation rules would not apply here since the default triplet
detected (i386-apple-darwin10) differs from the code generation
being invoked (x86_64). Configure is free to make decisions based
on the triplet reported by config.guess that could impact the
code being compiled (selecting files with hard coded amd64
assembly, etc). In any case, we should be a clear answer from
upstream shortly.
            Jack