request for configure clarifications on darwin10

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Sep 15 16:42:14 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 04:26:36PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 16:20, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
> > Only booting the 64-bit kernel returns
> > coherency to the situation with uname and arch reporting x86_64.
>
> This is not true. Jack, I've corrected you on this several times now.
> The only thing that changes on K64 is "uname -m", which config.guess
> does not use. The output of "arch" and "uname -p" is i386 regardless.
>
> - Toby

Toby,
   Okay. I mispoke on that issue but it is orthogonal to the solution.
On Darwin10, under the 32-bit kernel (which is the default), both
uname -p and uname -m reports i386 so a patch is necessary to return
coherency between the detected host and the actual target code
generated by the system compiler.
               Jack